Wednesday, May 9, 2012

First Post

Few people know that Van Gogh became famous not, initially, for his paintings, but for the letters he wrote about his paintings to his sister.  It was only after the letters became well known that people wanted to see the images he'd created.  He was a most unsuccessful artist, in his life time, hardly known at all.  Now of course, his paintings fetch among the highest prices in the world.  But what's important about this story is not that his writings made his paintings famous, but that his writings made paintings (which no one had seen) be interesting, compelling.  There was something in describing the struggle of painting that was compelling in it's own right.

Thinking about that, I'd long thought it would be nice to document my thoughts as I work on things, as I make stuff.  Not to become famous, lol, but, as much to see if writing about the work might actually improve it, or motivate me to work faster.  There's nothing like publishing the fact that you started to work on a new song and realize, 4 months later, that you never finished it, a fact easily missed if you don't write it down.

So, with any luck, I will write down the things I'm up to and describe the struggles in interesting detail.  You'll be the judge of my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment